Learning in the Delta: A New Teacher's Adventures

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Growing Up

The day of the third term district exam, every math teacher was asked to administer the test to an Algebra I class that they didn’t normally teach – not a big deal, unless you happen to be assigned to the class where 3 major fights had broke out in the last month – which, thank my lucky stars, was assigned to yours truly. Luckily, I gave myself a large pep-talk on the way to work, “you WILL NOT raise your voice; you WILL address every student in the room as Sir or Ma’am; you WILL NOT hesitate to make use of the hall monitor and write-ups.” It worked. As stressful as the situation of dealing with this unknown class almost got, they all seemed to appreciate my politeness, and after the test, I allowed the i-pods to come out and the “respectful” dance party to begin.

It’s amazing that I often forget how far a calm voice and a respectful address will take me in terms of classroom management. There are so many days that I become fed up with students to such a great degree that I begin raising my voice, slamming my door, and calling them anything that comes to mind, “you disrespectful, ignorant, mean, blah, blah, blah…” After having such a nice time working with the seemingly dreadful Algebra I students during third term exams, I have made a much larger effort to give myself that same pep-talk every morning on the way to school, and to continue it in my head as often as I can during the school day. Not only does my new demeanor seem to affect my students, but it is helping me to realize that so many of the actions that were getting me riled up in the past are minor incidents, most of which turn out to be silly high-school experiences. When a student imitates me to the class, instead of getting angry or imitting him, I calmly say to myself , “You can either choose to smile and move on, or calmly call security and have the student removed.”

It’s a little sad that, as a teacher, it has taken me this long to grow up and not let the student’s bother me. However, walking around the school, I see 5 teachers every day who are acting childish and immature. I don’t want to reprimand these teachers, though. Most of them, including me, are doing a good job. Sometimes students are just assholes, and when you work with them every day you’re bound to let it get to you. We just have to keep breathing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home