Learning in the Delta: A New Teacher's Adventures

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Head Up, and Shoulders Back!

Just woke up after watching the video of me teaching. Ha-ha! Maybe it was the lack of sleep after weeeks of going to bed at 3:00 a.m. and waking up at 5:30 a.m; maybe its the fact that I haven't had any healthy meals or consistent exercise since I got here; or maybe...maybe... I really am that boring of a teacher. The last possibility is, of course, the one that I am most hesitant to lean towards, but its the one that I feel I should examine the closest.
The thing that was most apparent to me while watching the video, and probably the most surprising, was my posture. It never entered my mind that my posture would have an impact on the kind of teacher that the students view me as. Of course, posture, in general, is important; but, I never considered myself as having poor posture. However, during the video, I did not come across as a confident, professional, educator. Instead, I looked like a twenty-two year old girl, with slouched shoulders, who crosses her arms when she's nervous, and shuffles atound the classroom, as if she is searching for something that she can never find. It was hilarious to me, but mortifying as well. I don't mind looking like that while attending college, or hanging out with friends; but, in a classroom - MY classroom - it seems to be the most blatant sign of weakness and immaturity. So, just like my teacher face, I have to work on my teacher stance.
The other thing that really stood out to me was how often I had my back turned to one part of the class. Either I was writing on the board, or just facing one side of the class and talking - but, I definitely want to work on quitting. I think it also involves the setup of the classroom. Even if I do the nifty "Joe-Sweeney-writing-with-his-back-turned-to-the-board-thing", I think that my body gets in the way of some students seeing, and when I move, then I'm in the way of other students. Vicious Cycle, really.
Well, lots to work on and make better. Glad that I at least have somewhere to start, though. There always seems to be room for improvement, but if I can at least get the "look" of a teacher down, I figure I'm gonna be ropin' in 6 figures by the end of January.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home