Learning in the Delta: A New Teacher's Adventures

Sunday, July 16, 2006

When do I get to Yell?

Hmmm... team teaching, huh? Yeah, it was great. Watching myself.... not so much. Its weird how critical we tend to be of ourselves in this programs. I guess that has its pros and its cons. Oh well. Anyhoo, bac to this video-taped lesson.
In this last lesson I video taped I was mostly concerned with my posture and how it affected my confidence and demeanor. In the most recent lesson, my posture was not as much of an issue, I'm happy to say. Although, it did get commented on from time to time in my eval. What was an issue on my tape?: Monotone. I feel so boring. I'm reluctant to ever raise my voice to a child in my class, although sometimes I do make myself louder to try and overcome the noise of the classroom (I'm more comfortable with being loud than with raising my hand, or clapping for their attention?). But, raising my voice above theirs is different than yelling at them, I think. I haven't ever yelled, I haven't gone crazy. Is it weird that this bothers me? While I was watching the tape I was just waiting for the moment that I would break out into hysterics and lively the whole show up a bit.... but, no. I was the same tone, the same pitch, the same excitement THE WHOLE TIME!!! BLECH!!!! I love when Annne yells in class, I love when people go a little nutzo in real life. You definately start paying attention after someone flips. But, sadly, I haven't perfected the ar of introducing this into the classroom.
Watching the tape, I had a hard time paying attention. It might be a little different for a kid who doesn't know me and who hasn't taken part in the lesson, yet. Nevertheless, if I don't like watching the lesson, I'm pretty ure that most of the kids don't like watching the lesson. And, maybe they don't HAVE to like it but, I WANT them to like it.
Like I said, though, I haven't even tried introducing the crazy side into class, yet. So, I might have to hold off a little. Maybe second semester I'll go a little insane in the membrane. But, I'm affraid that - for the sake of management - I'm gonna have to play it cool, calm, and collected...until one of them falls asleep in class. WATCH OUT!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home